Sunday, December 24, 2006

JOY TO THE WORLD


For almost as long as I can remember, I've wanted a miniature village at Christmas. The idea must have been planted by some long-forgotten children's book. In recent years the wish is being gradually realized with these little houses and figures purchased a few at a time from the dollar store.



Lined up on the kitchen windowsill, they are cheap and crude, yet they satisfy my old longing to a remarkable degree.

It occurs to me that the child I used to be knew nothing of scale and workmanship, and only wanted enough to set the imagination working. These pieces are perfectly able to do that. If they were more expensive, I might not have bought them, or might feel a twinge of guilt whenever I look at them.




As it is, whenever I behold them I feel a thrill of pure joy. Who would have thought that the elusive Christmas Spirit would inhabit these tiny dwellings?

It's not likely that anyone is reading this post, as I've been a terrible slacker with this blog, but in the new year I hope to get it going again, so if anyone does happen by, I wish you a very merry and joyful season for whichever festival you might celebrate at this time of year, and please do visit again.

2 comments:

Laureline said...

I'm here!! Merry Christmas, Agnes, and best wishes for a joyful and productive new year.

arlene said...

I just stumbled in and I love your little village. Isn't it great to still find ourselves satisfied with the simple, and to find joy in the ordinary? I'm glad you got you little village, and I hope it magiaclly fits big dreams for the New Year.

All the best,

arlene