Friday, April 20, 2007

Crocus, Finally


As everyone knows, April has been unusually cold this year. The crocuses (croci?) in our yard got snowed on twice after first rearing their brave little heads, but here they are at last, none the worse for it. It was such a beautiful day that I was comfortable in short sleeves as I toured the yard for the first time this season. The recent wind storms did a lot of minor damage, leaving a litter of small broken branches all over the ground, but no large ones. My vegetable garden is almost dry enough to start working the soil. I tied up a new clothesline and hung the wash out to dry in the sun. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy hanging out the clothes in summer, and working in the garden. After being housebound all winter, being able to get outdoors is like a whole new life opening up.

8 comments:

Laureline said...

This is so lovely, Agnes---a charming and subtle sketch of that charming and subtle little spring flower.

Linda said...

Beautiful! The flowers are perfect, and your glass is marvellous. How nice that spring is finally here!

Britt-Arnhild said...

Your crocus drawing/painting is great. Has a very special charm.

Making A Mark said...

Agnes - sorry to say but we've just had the warmest April since records began - I think we may have got some of your sunshine quota!

Lovely crocus

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! What colors did you use for the flower petals?

Actcrabby said...

Thanks, everone, for your lovely comments. It's been a busy few weeks and I've not been keeping up here, but I do appreciate your taking the time to look. Anna, I think the purple on the flowers is ultramarine and permanent rose.

Casey Klahn said...

I "tagged" you in a blog post, Agnes.

Actcrabby said...

Thanks for the note, Casey. I saw that you tagged me when I read your blog, and I'm working on my response.